From our President, Kathleen Barry
If you are reading this, you have undoubtedly asked, “Why would anyone want to become a member of Women in Communications?”
You could ask any of the tens of thousands who have been members in the first hundred years since the organization was formed to champion women communicators and there may be variations, but these themes would emerge:
(1) to recognize excellence in the field of communications;
(2) to foster a sense of camaraderie among women communicators; and,
(3) to extend networking opportunities for all of us.
Members have already partnered on projects and proposals, collaborated on projects, and bartered for services. This means advancing our dreams and often money in our pockets.
The Santa Barbara chapter is relatively new – it’s only five years old – but already it has won three national awards! What we do:
* provide cutting-edge informational, practical, and inspirational programs and networking opportunities for all of our members at monthly meetings
* honor women communicators who have gone beyond the call of duty and demonstrated their commitment to integrity as a communicator and excellence in their field, industry, or occupation
* partner with a local charity – such as the Women’s Free Shelter Clinic, Child Abuse Listening and Mediation - CALM and The Unity Shoppe to improve the lives of women in our community at our holiday party each December.
* As a part of a national organization, our chapter has access to resources like job banks, webinars, and tips on how to do practically anything in the communications field. Leadership opportunities are available to all members who want to spearhead a program or facilitate a committee or event or even join the dynamic board.
Now let me ask you a question. With regard to the value of membership, two thousand national members “get it,” and we hope you will become a member today.
As President, I’ve seen how much the new relationships and opportunities have added meaning to our members’ lives. I promise it will provide you with a great experience.
On behalf of our Board of Directors and members, we look forward to meeting you soon,