Happy New Year!
I’m proud to serve as AWC-SB President for 2015. Let me share what the Board of Directors has worked on for the past couple of months. In part, the purpose of AWC-SB is to:
- Create a supportive environment for women to share experiences and exchange information and opportunities for success in their work as professional communicators.
- Provide access to role models and leaders in the communication fields, explore current trends, and learn related technologies.
- Provide educational seminars and access to professional development in the Santa Barbara region to help members stay abreast of trends and shifts in the global economy, occupations, and communications fields.
Our monthly programs play an important role in our purpose. We’ve planned an exciting agenda for the next few months. We begin on February 3 with "Leadership & Diversity". Please note we meet on Tuesday evenings for February and March due to room availability at Antioch University. Other upcoming topics include "Women in Public Affairs" and "Women in Radio & Podcasting". I look forward to seeing all of you at our events in 2015.
In order for AWC to continue to grow and thrive in Santa Barbara, we need your help. We’re looking to fill several board positions as well as committee positions. All members are invited to attend our monthly board meeting. I encourage you to join us to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes and see if participation might benefit to you. Our next meeting is Friday, February 10, 12 noon-1 pm. Please email me at email@example.com if you’re interested.
Some positions we seek to fill include:
- Co-chair Membership: someone who is detail-oriented, who can help with membership applications, new member follow up, updating our directory, etc..
- Membership Committee members: work with the board and the Membership Co-Chairs to help us grow AWC-SB membership.
- Hospitality Committee members and Chair: set up refreshments at meetings, help at registration table and make new guests feel welcome.
- Event Committee members: help with annual June Women of Achievement Awards banquet.
- Programs Committee members: brainstorm ideas for programs, help plan future AWC-SB events.
AWC-SB is a volunteer organization and it takes a village to create a thriving membership. Please consider joining us and donating your time and talents to AWC-SB.
- Dr. Minette Riordan